Research has shown the imporant role that After-school programs play in the academic and social development of school-age youth. Youth involved in such programming have, on average, attended school more, shown greater improvement with test scores and grades, and have shown improved social and behavioral outcomes.
YOD currently operates an Afterschool Program in the South Oakland neighborhood in collaboration with Oakland Planning and Development Corporation.
At YOD, we see Afterschool-programming as an essential component to any community. Our program includes four components:
Tutoring and Homework Space
- space provided for youth to complete their homework
- qualified adult help available when needed
- effort made to idenifty academic strengths and weaknesses of each student, with support available to facilitate improvement
- Detailed intake completed with each participant
- Weekly scheduled mentoring discussion/activity
- Individualized goal plans developed in collaboration with mentee
- Specialized personal development topics assigned to mentor/mentee groups for each weekly session.
- Detailed Mentoring Work Sheet completed by mentor after each session to keep track of progress made.
- Unstructured activity "free play" choices available to youth participants
- Structured group activies, such as soccer, baseball, kickball, basketball, and football on a rotating basis.
- Inside activities such as movies, Playstation, board games, and more
- Complete hot, nutritious dinner and snack served to all youth participants